Harry's Classic Turntable
(Harry's favorite non direct drive table)
"The Classic 4 is a precision measuring device in its own right; as well as telling you what’s in your records’ grooves, it will also tell you just how competent your setup is."
- Roy Gregory
The Classic 4 is really, chief designer and former co-owner, Harry Weisfeld's table. He didn't design this table for the consumer, he designed it for his own personal us so he could listen to a 12 inch arm on a Classic table (Classic 1-3 do not have the space to properly mount a 12 inch arm.) We presented the table at the 2012 New York Audio Show to make a statement while also announcing the VPI Traveler. It wasn't intended to bring into the VPI line but the positive feedback and interest immediately made it a staple in the production line.
Identical build as the Classic 3 but with a larger size chassis, plus having a 12 inch arm gives you more stability, lower tracking distortion, and additional low level resolution from your records. Having the additional size gives the listener a chance to mount a second 10 or 12 inch tone arm in the rear. Why would you have two arms? This lets you have both a stereo and mono cartridge set up at the same time.
The Classic 4 features a ½" thick machined aluminum plinth bonded to a 1/8" steel sub plate with dampening fabric in between. This is then bonded to 2" of MDF creating a plinth which is so massive and well damped it virtually eliminates resonance. The Classic 4 can use either an extended Classic Signature arm or an extended Classic 3D arm.
The custom nature of this table comes from the numerous options you have. You can mount 1 or 2 tonearms, 10” or 12” arms, any arm made by almost anyone, it is all customizable and affordable.
- The platter is machined 6061 aluminum and stainless steel weighing 20 pounds with a precision inverted bearing. Run-out +/- .001” on 39” circumference!!!
- Platter bearing using Thompson Engineering precision shafting with 60 Rockwell hardened and polished ball running on a PEEK thrust disc. The side thrust is taken by graphite lubricated composite bronze bushings.
- The belt runs around the platter through the center of the bearing assembly for no teeter totter effects and no noise.
- Speed stability on par with a master tape: Due to the rigid mounting of motor - platter - tonearm there isn't any random motion to cause speed instabilities.
- Feedback rejection that lets the Classic Turntable sit near four 15" subwoofers and having virtually no feedback
- 300 RPM precision low noise high torque 24 pole AC synchronous motor drives the platter with a pulley accurate to +/- .0005”
- Lack of random motion between the motor, platter, and tonearm giving the ultimate in low level resolution. Not only does this rigidity improve speed stability, it also allows the retrieval of low level information on par with the world's great turntables and very close to master tapes.
- Absolutely solid, non-resonating laminated one-piece chassis: This is not a wooden frame; it is a solid laminated 2.5" thick MDF block with a ¾” sandwich of aluminum and steel attached to the top with long bolts through all the layers. The chassis weighs 40 pounds and is totally non-resonant.
- VPI stainless steel record center weight
- Available in Piano Black or limited edition Rosewood
The 12” Tonearm:
- Pivot to spindle distance: 300mm
- Effective length: 313.4mm
- Overhang: 13.4mm
- Offset angle: 17.35 degrees
- Average RMS distortion: .267%
- Armtube critically damped internally with 1.7 pound foam.
- Premium Discovery wire used internally and in junction box, optional Nordost Valhalla wire.
- High quality RCA outputs standard, XLR available as an option.
- Unipivot design with zero friction and zero bearing chatter.
- Dropped counterweight for tracking force and azimuth adjustment and low center of gravity
- A large knurled VTA/SRA tower with a smooth precise feel makes it easy to set VTA/SRA during play. Allows changing of arm-tubes in seconds instead of hours for those with multiple cartridges.
- A secondary mounting has been placed between the arm rest and the arm lift to greatly improve the arm's rigidity literally making these the only arms that can do VTA adjustments while listening and then be locked as rigid as a solid mounted arm.
- JMW-Classic 4 damped stainless steel tonearm using constrained layer damping for a clean, open sound without resonances.
- Adjustable anti-skate controlling device
- 12” 3D Printed tonearm
- Periphery Ring to flatten warps and add 7 pounds to platter.
- Synchronous Drive System (SDS) – Lets the motor run silently with perfect speed and no micro changes in rotation caused by power line errors.
- Second 3D or regular tonearm in 10” or 12” design.